Staying positive in a negative world is probable one of the hardest things we have to do if we are going to lead in the different roles we play as fathers, business leaders and community leaders. We all know people in these different roles who seem to stay positive no matter what life is throwing at them. When life gives them lemons as the saying goes, they make lemonade.
Staying positive is a mental choice; It all has to do with perspective. Some will look at a glass and say it is half full. Others will look at the same glass and say that it is half empty. It is all in the perspective you keep.
In one of the title companies I frequented, there was a saying they had posted in their lobby and offices. Every time I would go into open an escrow for a client I would reminded “Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude”. That saying has stuck with me, I repeat it myself, and I repeat it to my kids when they begin to complain about life and how hard it is.
As I watched positive people. I notice that they have a few traits in common. Here is what I’ve noticed about positive people.
1. They know who they are – They have a purpose. They know where they came from, why they are hear and where it is that they are going.
2. They pray and study the scriptures – They have a relationship with a supreme divine being. There life has a purpose and a meaning.
3. They focus on the positive qualities of people and events – They look for the good. It is not always easy to find good but if you look hard enough you can find the good in everyone and everything. As a family we started a new game, we play at the dinner table called what’s the best thing about your day. I got the idea from Gail Hyatt.
4. They talk positively about people – This is not always easy especially if you have been hurt or wronged by somebody or someone. Sometimes this is one of the hardest things for me to do, especially when family and friends have been attacked. I find for me, the best way to deal with these situations is to find a quite corner in which to pray and meditate.
5. They surround themselves with positive people – I heard someone once say you can’t hang with the chickens if want to soar with the eagles. Look at positive people. Do you find them hanging with negative people? I’ll bet you the answer is NO!
6. They practice; they practice at being positive – They wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and say, I’m a positive person and I look for the positive in people.
In the end being positive is a choice and it is only a choice you can make.
Question: As difficult and tough as this life is, how do you stay positive and focused on the good?
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”